At the end of this post, you will see how to you will know how to view or restore a past version in Google Docs
In the past, you might have done multiple changes to your files. In case you needed to refer or switch to earlier versions. Google Drive keeps all your changes in one file. You can easily view, revert back or restore past versions.
For example you can:
- View, delete, download, or revert back to previous versions any time
- You can access any version of your file anytime, from any device
- Also, refer back to existing comments in a previous version
- Keep your folders clean and there’s no need to keep multiple drafts of your files anymore
How to view or restore a past version in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files
Note: Keep in mind that you need Owner or Editor access to see the version history.
- In Drive, open your file.
- Click FileVersion historySee version history.
- Click on the timestamp to see a previous version of the file. Below the timestamp, you’ll see:
- Name of the person who edited the document.
- A color next to each person’s name. The edits they made appear in that color.
- To revert to this version, click Restore this version.
How to upload a new version of a non-Google file to Drive
On the web
- In Drive, right-click on the file that isn’t in a Google format and select Manage versions.
- Click on Upload New Version and select the file from your computer.
- When the new version is uploaded, click on Close.
From your computer
- If you have not already, install Drive for desktop.
- On your computer, find a non-Google file.
- Click on Drive for desktop .
- Click Open Google Drive .
- Do one of the following actions:
- To move the file, drag it into a folder.
- To copy the file, copy and paste it into a folder.
The file syncs automatically to Drive on the web. If you have updated an existing file, the previous file is overwritten, but versions are maintained.
How to download or revert to earlier versions of non-Google files in Drive
- In Drive, click on the file, and at the top right, click on More Manage versions.
- Click More Download to download the file.
- To revert to an earlier version (such as the one you downloaded above), click Upload New Version, find the version of the file, and click Open.
- Click Close.
Check out more posts here